Friday 7 October 2011

Too good to be true

Yes, we've started packing too soon. Our buyers have hit a small snag so we are having to wait a while. They say they intend to go ahead, but who knows. Indeed, who knows what will happen next.

Two of our most influential popular men have died in the same week. Yes I know that Steve Jobs changed our lives with technology, but for me, the loss of Bert Jansch means so much more. I first saw him perform live in a folk club in Soho called Les Cousins in 1966. My friend and I had just started at London University and decided to visit this club which was quite an adventure for two Cornish girls! Of course, at the time, I didn't know who he was and it was only some time later that I found out. My brother bought me his LP for my Christmas present and I played it on my Dansette Junior record player over and over again, driving the rest of my family almost to the point of suicide after listening to " the needle of death" time after time!

Over the years I've attended various concerts seeing Pentangle and Bert himself and also collected several records which I still play. Of course, "Anji" is my favourite and what a privilege it was to see him perform this live on a number of occasions. It sounds as if more than one person is playing, but it's just him. So close your eyes and imagine yourself in a smoke filled room, (yes I know noone smokes nowadays) a glass of beer in hand and a great atmosphere and listen to this.

So more than forty years on, I'm still that teenager at heart. RIP Bert!




No comments:

Post a Comment