Thursday 11 February 2010

Another day another postcard

I decided that I would tidy up my workroom and give it a bit of a clean. The tidying underway, I then got sidetracked into emptying my "I'll finish it later" basket and decided to start finishing the bits and pieces started and abandoned in the distant past. All was going well, but then, I got a bit bored sewing dozens of inch squares together and started to yearn for something else. Displacement activity at it's worst or best, whichever way you look at it!

Our group with no name is having a group meeting on Saturday and as the next postcard in the swap needs to be done by the end of the month, I thought I'd get going on it. So I abandoned  the "finish it later" pile and got started.

Geometrical shapes  have been much in my mind lately, so I thought I would use that as a theme. So I cut some shapes from my handdyed fabrics. I chose orange and green/blue as the base colours and layered some organza shapes on top. Machine embroidery using metallic threads, some shapes using my flower stitcher and a nice neat edging and here it is! I hope Brenda likes it.

My flower stitcher is calling me now, having sat unused in my drawer for over a year and it is going to be a lot more useful than I thought it would. My currrent task is to use it with as many of the stitches on my machine as I can before it gets a bit boring and make a book to show them off when I do my workshop at MKC later in the year. I'm also going to practise changing the setting so that I can do concentric circles! Anything it seems to avoid going back to the unfinished projects of old!

1 comment:

  1. How quickly you are transforming into a quilter. You may even have as many UFOs as me one day if you keep going on it!

    Love the postcard!

    ReplyDelete