Friday 30 November 2012

Textile Maids

Today I went to the inaugural meeting of a proposed new textile art group which is to be called Textile maids and we met in the cafe at Heartlands. This is a new feature built on and around an old mining site and is part of the Cornish Mining  Heritage Development  and it is hoped will attract lots of visitors into an area not noted for tourist attractions. Carolyn and Sue who run Beyond Patchwork came up with the idea and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing it seems that the group is going to go ahead.

There will be a monthly meeting and each month there will be a group challenge and the aim is that eventually, we will have enough work to hold our own exhibitions. It was a very lively meeting and everyone seemed to be very keen, especially when Carolyn stressed that the main idea behind the group was to have fun! Well, no arguing with that!

Our first theme is Heartlands itself, and although it is rather bleak, there are a lot of things there to inspire.



Railway tracks in the yard.


Water running in a leat.



Old machinery.

And there has to be a plaque!


More machinery and some interesting shapes.



Some lovely rust on a pillar.



An old tin stamp.



Marks on the walls.

More machinery.



and finally, some stones in the chimney.

So, I think I may have a go at producing something that will reflect both the bleakness and the hope that the site aims to generate . With all the other things that are on, it may be a bit of a tall order, but we'll see! I think this may just be a impetus I need to get me going again on producing some arty pieces rather than worrying about patchwork!

Having said that though, I have to say that it is a comfort and my new machine is helping me get those points matching!

This quilt which was on show at Cowslips when we visited on Tuesday is so lovely and I so fell in love with the quilting, that I must have a go!



Trying to work out the pattern has proved to be a bit of a challenge so I'm giving it my own take!

Now I'm off to sit in our newly heated sitting room and listen to our central heating boiler doing it's thing now that the oil has been delivered. Note to self and DH check the oil level more often so you don't let it run out!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Very inspiring photographs and glad you're keeping warm! This group sounds like just the job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new group sounds exciting Penny and challenging too. You have lots of inspiration from Heartlands, same as we found when we went to Geevor in September. I'm pleased you've got the heating back up and running, just in time I would say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You certainly seem to be finding your feet down there and it looks like you are also finding plenty of inspiration. Glad to hear that your heating is back, a necessity at this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete