Saturday 16 June 2012

Displacement activity

I should be packing but instead I am playing with my sewing machine.

Sometime ago I signed up for a class on Craftsy. They were offering a free online class called "Block of the Month" so I signed up, but haven't made all the blocks as they are not really to my taste. Still, I realised that my inability to sew two pieces of fabric together so they lie flat was beginning to irritate. So I signed up for Magical Jelly Roll Quilts with Kimberly Einmo. There is so much in this class that I don't think I will ever finish it, but it's really inspired me to do some more traditional work, although the quilts have a modern bias.

Here are my efforts so far. One rather creased Flying Geese Crossing quilt waiting for a good press before it's quilted


 And one Lonestar panel that was fun to do, but isn't actually square and the middle isn't in the middle! Still not bad for a first attempt!



What I want to know is, why is it when you are so careful to measure and cut accurately, sew the seam to exactly the right width, press carefully, the damn things are never square, the points don't meet and they don't turn out to be the right size? Bit like life really and perhaps my expectations are just too high and does it matter?

So now I've had a practice and got bits of thread and fabric all over the floor of my room, I ought to go downstairs and start putting things in boxes. Well perhaps tomorrow! If I try again, perhaps this time I'll get it spot on or not, but it's fun anyway!

2 comments:

  1. I think your problem is you're looking at everything too close up, and not only that but you're expecting fabric to behave itself! What you've done looks fine to me - and if all else fails, steaming or blocking will get it to lie flat usually (tell you how on Thursday if you don't already know!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same trouble too Penny but I know Sandra is right, you have done very well.

    ReplyDelete