Thursday 3 May 2012

Journal Quilts

I finished the first four journal quilts and got them posted on time by the skin of my teeth!  My original idea was to make them a series of studies inspired by strata in rocks, but that idea went by the board and in the end they were just cobbled together in  my usual haphazard way!


This is January's effort which looks much more pink than it is in real life. The idea came from an on line class called Stupendous Stitching which I enjoyed very much, but I did not use the same techniques in the other three quilts as after taking this class, I took another class in free motion quilting that just took over!

Here is February's effort based on a wonky log cabin with lots of free motion quilting.


I had hoped to use my own hand dyed fabris, but sadly the reds were rather wishy washy pinks, so these fabrics came from a pack of fat quarters I had in my stash which proves that I am willing to declutter!

March and April were both done in  a bit of a rush but in the end I was quite pleased with the results.


For this little quilt, I used raw edge applique and couched the pieces to the backing with some red braid.


This quilt used curved piecing and narrow pieced inserts with appliqued trapunto flowers. My first attempt at echo quilting which sort of worked.

The next four must all be yellow and I haven't even started thinking about them yet. They may have to wait until we have moved into our new home, when we eventually find one!

In the meantime, I'm off to do some more sorting out and packing so I will leave you with a photo of someone special who I'm going to miss a lot but who has promised to teach me how to use Skype



3 comments:

  1. Love these JQs, especially the Feb one - really impressive colour and machine quilting.

    And skype works well - talked to my nephew at Christmas in Oz - though he gave detailed instructions before he left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely JQs Penny, I especially like the third one, appeals to my love of curved piecing suggesting land or sea :-) Technology's a wonderful thing isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to the finished Goodbye to the Grid - so much fun to read about Clifford - my grandad lived in a cottage next to St Edward's church, and Boston spa, and St Just and Cape Cornwall - I stayed in one of those cottages at the base of the Cape a few years ago! and of course Leeds where I lived for many years.....

    ReplyDelete