Tuesday 9 August 2011

Not long now!

It's been a strange week and it's only Tuesday!  There has been a lot going on. They came to start on resurfacing our driveway yesterday so the car has had to spend the night outside parked in the lane. They're coming today to put down the new surface. As we can't drive on it for at least twenty four hours, the car is outside again. While they're laying the surface, we will be trapped as our only way out is the driveway! So as I have a lot to do, I'll be able to get on won't I?

I can hear the drilling from the men from the Water Company who are digging up the road round the corner and our water is about to be turned off for the day!

How will all the machinery  fit in our narrow little lane? I forsee many arguments developing between our drive way people and the water company as they try to work round each other in such a small area! Or, will anyone turn up at all?

In the meantime, I have lots of sewing to get on with and I have to give some thought to my sketchbook. My sketchbook from The Sketchbook Project arrived last week. This project is a worldwide project described as a concert tour, but with sketchbooks. When you sign up, you choose a theme and your sketchbook arrives with a bar code which is used to identify you. The sketchbooks are sent back to Brooklyn where they are digitised and can be viewed online. I chose "prehistoric" as my theme and I am hoping to get going with it when I get back from Festival of Quilts.

Sadly though, the actual sketchbook is pretty naff. It is quite small and the paper is very thin so that it probably won't take much in the way of paint etc. The cover is plain brown card, which although it can be embellished,  is pretty flimsy, so options appear to be limited. So the plan is to replace the cover and the paper with more interesting and useable materials. Rather like the old broom that lasts forever having only had the handle and the bristles replaced at different times. However  I must ensure that the barcode is left visible and intact.




Not a lot to see at this stage! Fortunately I will be meeting up with friends at Festival of Quilts who are also taking part in this project and so I hope that there will be plenty of ideas and inspirations floating around! There are also going to be a lot of suppliers at the NEC so I will be able to find lots of lovely paper etc to make the sketchbook how I want it. I feel a mixed media surge coming over me!

Next up FOQ. Will I survive it?

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get out of your drive in time for FOQ! lol I've just bought my train ticket for tomorrow! See you Thursday :-)

    ReplyDelete