Monday 7 March 2011

A grand day out

Although I've been a member of the Quilter's Guild for some time, apart from a few visits to the Museum in York, I haven't done much in the way of Guild activities. So, with some feelings of trepidation, I decided to go to our Regional Day on Saturday. I have admired Ineke Berlyn's work for some time and she was the speaker for the day and I didn't want to miss the opportunity of seeing her and hearing about her work.

The meeting was held in a church hall in Kirkheaton near Huddersfield which isn't a part of the country I know very well, but the directions were good and we found it with out difficulty. Parking was a bit iffy because there weren'y many spaces left and the overflow car park was a very muddy field that noone really wanted to venture into. So we bunched up and parked where we could!

Everyone was very friendly and there was a lovely buzz about the day. Ineke's talk was so inspiring and she is very generous and happy to talk about her work and share her methods. This lovely quilt is made with transparent fabrics printed with ammonites. Ineke also brought her sketch books and these were truly wonderful. She works in her sketch books a lot before deciding on a final design for her quilts. I must say that I don't do anywhere near enough work of this kind and so I've started to address that. It's a good way of using up all those old magazines, photos etc.

After lunch we set about hand stitching some little blocks that will form part of a group quilt next year. We had been asked to take some blue fabrics in dark and medium shades. Even with all my stash, I was a bit doubtful that my fabrics were suitable, but as usual, they were and I needn't have worried. In fact, everyone had taken lots more fabric than I had, so there would have been plenty to go round! I didn't get mine finished on the day, but here are some that were!

So, a truly grand day out and I came home with Lutradur, a new book and lovely memories!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh Penny, I would love to hear Ineke speak, her landscape book was one of the things that started me out on this textile journey. I really enjoy the Guild days too, especially when there's the chance of a workshop too.

    ReplyDelete